The first Banca Popolare opened in Lodi in 1864 as a response to the production expansion requirements of artisans and traders, and as a vehicle for social and moral change in the area. The first branch was opened in Casalpusterlengo in 1869, and was followed by numerous others in neighbouring areas, and this encouraged investment in the local economy.
By the beginning of the 20th century the Bank was already a key reference point for the local community, contributing to the development of trade and industry, and participating in initiatives of benefit to the public. At the end of 1980's the Bank had 110 branches in Lombardy, Emilia Romagna, Lazio and Piedmont. In 1982 the Bank began to increase in size with major acquisitions in Lombardy, Tuscany, and Sicily.
In 1998 it was floated on the Italian Stock Exchange and later, according to a federal model, became an aggregating institution for savings and cooperative banks all over Italy that are firmly rooted in the local community, purchasing ICCRI and Efibanca, and in 2005 becoming Banca Popolare Italiana.
On 1 July 2007, after the merger with Banco Popolare di Verona e Novara, the Lombard bank became the Banco Popolare Group, at the same time reacquiring the historic title of Banca Popolare di Lodi.